July 12, 2012 by sshhoobbmmxxbblloogg
(February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011) Steve Jobs; Co-founder and CEO of Apple Computers.
so at the ripe old age of 56, Apple supremo Steve Jobs logged off for the final time. which given the circumstances, his illness etc… is too soon and pretty dark. he was only a year older than my dad, and if my dad pegs it, well…. i’ll be walking everywhere! (that of course is a joke… i travel by cab exclusively)
what IS slightly upsetting though is the constant cloying, banal, re-hashed and re-heated tributes. Granted the steps Apple made in home computing are monumental, but hailing Jobs as a modern day techno-messiah is a tad over zealous. Being a big fan of lists I have included some here:
THINGS THAT STEVE JOBS / APPLE GAVE THE WORLD >
- The Apple Macintosh Homecomputer and it’s subsequent re-evolved states.
- The iPod – sound tracking every 6am jog in the pissing rain with consummate ease.
- Brand snobbery to the Nth degree – because the iPod is apparently far superior to say, a Sony mp3 player.
- The myth that Macs are super reliable opposed to PCs.
HERE ARE THINGS THAT ARE MORE WORLD CHANGING / GROUNDBREAKING / IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING STEVE JOBS/ APPLE EVER DID >
- The end of Apartheid
- The Reunification of Germany
- September 11
- Electing Pope Benedict XVI, despite his uh…. dubious credentials
to clarify, i am NOT insulting him, or saying he didn’t contribute enormously to mdoern life. what i AM disputing is this reverence, this attitude that somehow he changed lives. he didn’t. your parents, teachers, friends, lovers, enemies… THEY CHANGED YOUR LIFE…. not some guy in California.
but all things aside, nice work Stevie J…. rest in peace.