July 12, 2012 by sshhoobbmmxxbblloogg
SO…. here at SHOBMX towers we like nothing more than finding cool new bands, that aren’t surfing a wave of XXJFG, Pitchfork, Fader etc HYPE!!! (see OFWGKTA, SleighBells, WAVVES etc). we also love interviewing said bands in our usual lax way.
so we were double pleased to pin down Quebec’s coolest grunge/folk/indie band Jesus Les Filles for a little bit of chitter chatter…
1. WHO ARE YOU, AND WHAT DO YOU DO?
We’re Jesuslesfilles, 4 peens & 1 vageen. Martin plays guitar and sings, Azure sings and shakes the tambourine, Phil plays the guitar too! Benoit is on drums and Pascal plays the bass and looks a lot like Dave Grohl.
2. YOU ARE A QUINTET, AN UNBALANCED RATIO OF FOUR GUYS TO ONE GIRL. DO YOU FIND THAT A MALE DOMINATED LINE UP IS BENEFICIAL TO THE JESUS LES FILLES SOUND?
No, dude. It goes the other way : Azure adds a decent feminine touch to our male dominated outfit.
3. YOU ARE FROM MONTREAL, A CITY WITH A VIBRANT MUSICAL TRADITION. DO YOU FIND THAT THE PAST QUEBECOIS BANDS LIKE GODSPEED!, LE FLY PAN AM, EXHAUST, SOFA etc ARE A HELP OR A HINDRANCE?
Oh, you like post-rock! We never really listened to those guys, but, yeah, they put Montreal on the map. We relate a lot more to the Unicorns, if anything. What would be a hindrance are the post-Arcade Fire hype indie-rock bands who generated a lot of generic indie sounds – bunch of stuff was happening, for sure, but a lot of it was optional. Not saying we’re seminal, though – cause we’re not. Just not into the “Montreal sound” thing. But things are a-changing, and a lot of good weirdness has been coming out recently! (see below)
4. BEING A QUEBECOIS BAND, YOUR LYRICS ARE PREDOMINANTLY FRENCH, THOUGH THIS SEEMS TO LEND ITSELF VERY WELL TO THE OVERALL VIBE OF YOUR SONGS… WAS THIS A CONSCIOUS DECISION, OR JUST UTILIZING YOUR NATIVE TONGUE?
Not predominantly, they’re all in French. A conscious decision, yes, and we work a lot on how to make it flow efficiently through the songs, in what you could call an English way of singing. One of Martin’s (the lyricist) main overall influences are Les Wampas, a French (from France!) punk band who showed that a band could sing rock n’ roll in French without falling knee-deep into cheesy love lyrics and just make a good song with it. Good songs! That’s what it’s about, right?
5. YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF AS INDIE / FOLK / GRUNGE… THREE DIFFERING GENRES THAT YOU SEEM TO BRING TOGETHER REALLY WELL TO CREATE A REALLY COOL, DIFFERENT SOUND. WAS THIS ALWAYS THE INTENT OF THE BAND? OR DID YOU EVOLVE FROM SAY A GRUNGE BAND INTO SOMETHING MORE EXPANSIVE?
We’re kids from the 90s, but never really played grunge. It’s just our way of putting that we intend to go the grunge way, let’s say.
6. ANY PLANS TO TOUR THE UK?
Given a small budget? We can sleep on floors. We definitely intend to show up in Europe in the next years, have a few opportunities waiting; guess we’ll make it work somehow. How is it over there? Are artists starving? Well-fed? How do UK peeps react to bands singing in French?
7. IF YOU HAD TO COVER A SONG…. WHAT WOULD THAT SONG BE AND WHY?
We used to jam to “Lovecraft” by the Vaselines. But covers are not our thing. We’d probably do a Prince cover anytime. “Let’s go crazy” – shall we?
8. ARE THERE ANY OTHER MONTREAL / QUEBEC / CANADIAN BANDS THAT ARE UNDERGROUND YOU WANNA SHOUT OUT? WE HAVE A POLICY OF TALKING ABOUT COOL BANDS, THAT AREN’T HYPED BY PITCHFORK, XXJFG, FADER etc…
Well, drop by weirdcanada.com for a bunch of cool artists. This is the best repertory of weird Canadian artists, with a new tape/7″/cd-r review every day!
Our picks :
Meta Gruau : a sludgy synth-punk outfit, reminiscent of Duchess Says and We Are Wolves
The Peelies : all-girl garage band who don’t really master their instruments but still give it a go in all cuteness and perkiness. We did a split tape with them!
Ponctuation : brother duo, reminiscent of Thee Oh Sees, really good at making faces while they play
Cousins : classic rock-infused Halifax duo with a “heart-melting honey pot croon” (Weird Canada)
DUZHEKNEW : wierd new wave Halifax outfit which has all of Cousins members in it, and truly slays.
Silver Dapple : girl-vocals 90s shoegazy/moody ourfit
9. CANADA HAS BECOME AN EPICENTRE FOR “COOL” “BUZZ” BANDS OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS OR SO, WITH THE CRITICAL ACCLAIM OF GY!BE, HOLY FUCK, ARCADE FIRE, BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE etc…. DO YOU EVER WORRY THAT PEOPLE WILL PIGEON HOLE YOU JUST BECAUSE OF YOUR ROOTS?
Hum, like said above, don’t think we relate to those guys, but hi!
10. IN A FIGHT BETWEEN A GIANT CRAB AND A SHARK…. WHO WINS?
Le crabe, osti. Y a ben plus de pinces.
11. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE REST OF 2011?
Busy “touring” for the fall (Quebec is small, but we’re dropping by New York for CMJ), and trying to find time to work on new songs when we’re not not sleeping.
12. IF EACH MEMBER OF JESUS LES FILLES HAD TO CHOOSE A SONG FOR INCLUSION ON A SMALL MIXTAPE FOR FREE DOWNLOAD ON OUR SITE… WHAT WOULD YOU EACH CHOOSE?
Martin : “Finger” – Ty Segall – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DgKlWw1FcU
Azure : “I need seed” – Thee Oh Sees – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faae9ixbCEk
Pascal : “Soup is good food” – Dead Kennedys – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpidCc7wwY
Phil : “Your heart out” – The Fall – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE9dJz97LEQ
Benoit : “Repas… repu” – Ponctuation – http://ponctuationponctuation.bandcamp.com/track/repas-repu